South Carolina Elder Abuse Victims Can Sue for Pain and Mental Suffering
Under South Carolina Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect law, your loved one has the right to receive compensation for pain, suffering, disfigurement, impaired enjoyment of life as well as damages for mental suffering sustained related to an injury, or felt before death.
Mental suffering which may be recovered in a South Carolina Nursing Home and Abuse Case can include:
- Fear of the consequences of an injury while awaiting help;
- Fear experienced in the period between realizing an incident likely to cause injury was going to occur and the time of occurrence;
- Fear experienced after an injury about what else could have happened;
- Anxiety about one’s physical health and future well-being;
- Fear of the need for future surgery as a result of one’s injuries;
- Fear of increased vulnerability to future injury;
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
Depending upon the facts of your South Carolina Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect case, your loved one may also be entitled to collect:
Damages Allowed in Nursing Home Compensation Lawsuits
Under South Carolina law, the following types of damages may be compensable:
- Necessary and reasonable medical expenses;
- Mental suffering;
- Past and future impairment of the ability to enjoy life;
- Shortened Life Expectancy; and under certain circumstances
- Punitive Damages.
If your loved one has been injured, neglected or abused while under the care of a nursing home, contact the Strom Law Firm, LLC today for a free consultation to discuss your best possible course of action. We offer flexible appointment times and will aggressively fight for justice.